Hurricane Season is upon us, are you ready?
Did you know that 40% of the hurricanes that occur in the United States hit Florida? Being prepared is an essential part of keeping you and your family safe this Hurricane season.
Here are some simple ways to ensure you are ready.
- Have an Emergency Kit
- Where is your closest shelter (keep in mind there are different kinds of shelters, ones for special needs, animals or both)
- Know what the evacuation routes are for you community
- Communicate with your family. Have an established plan of what to do, when to do it, whom to contact and where to go if you are separated should an emergency occur.
- Know your surroundings (are you in a flood-zone?)
- Keep debris out of your yard
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Reinforce your garage doors; if wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
What your Emergency Kit should include-
- Flashlights & extra bulbs
- Battery-operated or crank radio
- Battery-operated lanterns
- Batteries (in different sizes!!)
- Matches in a water tight container
- First aid kit and paper masks
- Duct tape
- Garbage bags
- Medication (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, children’s/infant medication, and plenty of your Prescriptions)
- Sun screen
- Manual can opener
You should also have plenty of food and water (no perishables) in case the electricity goes out. You should have at minimum 3-7 days’ worth.
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person, per day)
- Canned goods and boxed goods
- Pet food (if you have an animal that can be micro chipped it is recommended that you do so in case you get separated)
Everyone’s needs are different. Please keep in mind that the lists above are a general recommendation of what you may need. Be sure to write a list that focuses on your family’s specific needs.
If you have any further questions you can contact SERVPRO of Altamonte Springs/Lonwood at 407-830-9899 and we will be happy to assist you.